II. What do we learn about God from His Creation?
When we hear a song we can learn something about the composer or when we see a painting we can learn about the artist. When God creates the universe we can learn something about Him. Here are just some the things we learn about our God from creation.
- God is the Only God: Genesis 1:1 does not say, “In the beginning gods created the heavens and the earth.” The opening line says God created. Isaiah 45:18 (NASB) “For thus says the Lord, who created the heavens (He is the God who formed the earth and made it, He established it and did not create it a waste place, But formed it to be inhabited), ‘I am the Lord, and there is none else.’”
- God is Trinitarian: Genesis 1:26 (NASB) “Then God said, ‘Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness…’” An example of one God using the words “us” and “our” in reference to Himself. We believe in one God subsisting in 3 persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit; each is co-eternal and co-equal. Each of the persons of the Trinity was involved in creation. The Father created (Ps. 19:1, Acts 17:28; 1 Cor. 8:6), the Son created (John 1:1-3; Col. 1:16, 17), and the Spirit created (Gen. 1:2).
- God is the Uncreated Creator: God is eternal and the universe is not. Universe was created and God was not.
- God is Transcendent: God is separate from His creation. Some religions, like Pantheism, believe God is all and all is God. They believe God is the chair, earth, house, etc.; everything is God. The God of the Bible is not His creation; He is separate or transcendent from His creation.
- God is Imminent: God is separate but active in his creation. He is sustaining and ruling over everything.
- God is Personal: God is not an “it,” the impersonal god of some religions (New age). God is a personal living being and He creates personal living beings.
- God is Holy: God is without sin and so was creation until man rebelled. In the end God will restore what was lost at the fall.
- God is Powerful: God’s power is demonstrated by making everything from nothing. His power rules over creation and can be demonstrated by His miracles.
- God is the Ruler Over Creation: God is king over everything He has made, including Satan, demons, humans, planets, stars, animals, etc.
 Mark Driscoll & Gerry Breshears, Doctrine, Crossway Publ. Wheaton, Ill. 2010 pgs. 86-89